Air duct cleaning is something that not many homeowners concern themselves with. Even though there is no scientific evidence to prove that air duct cleaning has an important benefit, it is agreed that there are good parts to having it performed regularly. Here’s how to tell if the ducts in your house are due for a proper cleaning.
One of the most obvious signs of overdue cleaning is mold. Even if you can’t see it, you can usually smell it or feel it in the air. If your ducts are full of mold, you need to get them cleaned as soon as possible because it’s hazardous for your health! Another major sign is seeing a vermin infestation in your home, coming from or to your air ducts. Don’t let it spread any further because it will get more complicated to get rid of as time passes! Finally, seeing dust being released from supply registers whenever cold air is released from the vents is your cue to set an appointment for air duct cleaning.
As mentioned above, there are several benefits to having air duct cleaning done regularly. Some of the most notable ones, found by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, are:
• Cleaner air ducts lead to a reduced number of microorganisms such as mold or bacteria.
• The dust being formed in return-air ducts is reduced by a proper cleaning.
These may seem like minor benefits, but after living in a home full of mold for five years, I can tell you that this is the last thing you want happening to you! Having bacteria spread all over your home is hazardous for your health, and there’s no reason to let this happen when all it takes to prevent it is a proper air duct cleaning.
If you’re wondering how often you need to have the air ducts cleaned, then here’s some advice to help you make a decision:
• Generally, somewhere between three to five years is recommended. There’s no need to listen to contractors who recommend doing it more. It’s not needed more often than that.
• If anyone in your family suffers from allergies, then air duct cleaning is especially important because allergic people are much more sensitive to the bacteria being spread from poorly cleaned ducts.
• After building, or moving into, a new home. You may have dust or other materials left in the ducts after finishing the construction, or you may not know if the previous owner had the ducts cleaned, if moving in. In both cases, a proper cleaning is essential.
• If you have pets that shed, then you definitely need to get the ducts cleaned regularly. The hair left by pets gets into the ducts and from there, it spreads throughout your entire home. That’s not something you want happening too often!
The three to five year period is an estimate that should be right on if you don’t face any of the things mentioned above. If you have an allergic family member or a pet that sheds, you probably need to decrease the wait from three years to one.
No matter how often you decide to do it, make sure to hire a professional for your air duct cleaning. It’s important to have it cleaned properly, so look for the best! We recommend using members of the National Air Duct Cleaners Association because they know what they’re doing!